For Kathleen Elizabeth

 


My only aunt, my mother's sister, passed away in November of 2015. She was a huge influence on my life and her absence is still felt within me today. This is what I wrote and read during her funeral mass...actually I think I had to have someone else read it with theirs? I want to say my mother was the one who did...I was in a really bad place in my life at the time (actively using my drug of choice) and had just lost a LOT of really special, important people in my life in the months leading up to her passing. It was so unexpected and caught my mother and myself so off guard. So this is the best I could come up with at the time....luckily she had the same sense of humor I did and would probably laugh with me now thinking about the fact that I attended that same mass wearing a black dress, black nylons, knee-high black Dr. Martins, and a black leather jacket. Yeah. Love and miss you always Auntie....


To the fun, but also extremely nurturing, caring, and loving Aunt - I sincerely thank you for the lifetime of advice, wisdom and laughs you always provided me with. Having an aunt is the same thing as having a second mother...they play almost the same roles, but one is willing to let (and sometimes help) you break some rules here and there for the hell of it. Growing up, my aunt always had my back during times of joy and sticky situations alike. Early on, she earned the "cool aunt" award, as her fun-loving and generous demeanor lifted everyone's spirits at family gatherings. She was not only family, but served as a life-long confidant and best friend. While parents can be super strict (later, she tried to help me realize this was meant for my benefit) my aunt was always able to diffuse the situation with humor as she understood both sides well. Her ability to make me laugh paired with that understanding nature helped me through some of the toughest times of my life.

She knew all of my flaws, yet still always accepted and loved me for me.

Ever since I can remember, my aunt had been by my side. When I look back on all of my major milestones, she had been a part of them. She always made my successes hers as well, and it made me feel good. I know that she will always be one of my biggest fans. I can honestly say that my aunt was the one that I could go to for ANYTHING. No matter what it was, I had no problem opening up to her. We had this trusting relationship, and I'm so grateful I could talk about any issue without her judging me. I want to thank her for being that extra ear to listen to all of my problems. She had such a big, warm personality, and no matter what just seeing her put me in a better mood. I miss going downstairs whenever I wanted, and being greeted with her smiling face. There was always some type of sports game on the TV and always something delicious cooking on the stove that she wanted me to try. Her two dogs, Maggie and Lindy, were never far from her feet, and once I had Soloe she wasn't either. My aunt never gave up a chance to watch her, and spoiled her more rotten than she did me. I didn't even know that was possible.

Through it all, my aunt gave me compassion, love, discipline, and most of all, laughter. We had such a diverse, one-of-a-kind relationship that I will cherish forever...and makes this quote forever reign true: Only an aunt can give hugs like a mother, keep secrets like a sister, and share love like a friend.

I hope I can make you proud of me one day Auntie.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mike Mondou, this one's for you.....

**URBAN EXPLORING/PARANORMAL POST** Visit to Wachusett Reservoir/Abandoned Clinton Train Tunnel

**URBAN EXPLORING/PARANORMAL POST** Visit to Purgatory Chasm!